Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Good evening! How are you today? We've had yet another interesting day here. It's been raining most of the day, due to the beginning of typhoon season. It's wonderful to be cool! Garry's been watching the weather satellite and we're hoping things clear up so he can fly down south tomorrow, but we'll see what happens.

This afternoon the power went off for a while, and a call to the power company let us in on the fact that they didn't have an idea when it would be fixed. I took the boys to the hangar to help Garry and stopped for coffee on my way home. Right away I noticed that there weren't any lights, so I asked if they had a generator. Though their other coffee shop does, this one doesn't. Hoping for some quiet and time to think, I decided to order an iced tea instead of coffee. I'd barely asked for it when I heard the two young people at the next table mimicking me and laughing. Oh, well! A sandwich? No, they're frozen! Oh, well! So much for that idea, so I came home.

Garry and I often walk in the evenings, and it's not uncommon for young kids to follow us, trying to walk like "foreigners" or to be asked, "What's your name?" (the first thing they must learn in English class!) many, many times by different people. These are small examples of things that can make us feel different and out of place. So tomorrow when you go to town and feel "lost in the crowd" know that it can be a great feeling!

1 comment:

Little Turtle said...

Mary and I went to a concert in the church we attended one evening. The church was rented out to a black church from Ft. Wayne. We were the only white people there. I needed to use the restroom and gave Mary a few dollars for the offering. I didn't know that she was to walk the aisle to place it in a basket. It was their method. We were asked some questions and we each had different answers. The preacher asked us if we were married. Everyone laughed. I can understand the feelings of being out of place. We both agreed that it was the same for the black community in a white population.